Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking
Dick Adams[_3_] Dick Adams[_3_] is offline

Default Maximum sugar without choking fermentation?

Dave West > wrote:

> Novice has started making ginger beer using this on-line recipe.
> http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipe...er-beer-recipe
>
> He suggests adding a little honey. Would there be any purpose to this, other
> than very slightly changing the taste?

He's only adding a tablespoon (15 ml) to two liters. So it's probably
just a taste thing.

> I'm using Allison's dried baking yeast which I know is not as alcohol
> tolerant as wine yeast.

Bad choice!

> I understand that 100 gm of granulated sugar to one litre of water
> gives about 5% of alcohol by volume roughly. I would like to increase
> the alcohol content slightly, so just as a rough guide;

Grams ABV SG
100 5.17 1.037
150 7.69 1.056
200 10.12 1.075
250 12.46 1.094
300 14.72 1.113
350 16.91 1.132

> what would likely be the most sugar I could add per litre at the
> onset of the process, without the fermentation process choking up?

It's called 'Sugar Shock' and it depends on the yeast you're using.