Fred

Default Proofing bread at home.

"Fred" > wrote in message
. net...

> "Fred" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > I learned how bakers proof bread at the culinary school today. I had a
> > chance to use the big wet warm cabinet called a proofer. How do you do

it
> > at home? Do you just wait longer in cooler temperatures or is there

some
> > good way to produce the effects of a proofer in a home kitchen?
> >
> > Fred
> > The Good Gourmet
> > http://www.thegoodgourmet.com
> >

> Thanks for the tips. I was really concerned about proofing after the

loaves
> are made up. The first proofing isn't much of a deal and room temp. seems
> fine to me. The idea of starting and then stopping the oven makes sense.
> I'll work with that idea. In fact I'll make up some dinner rolls at the
> store today and test the process in our "consumer kitchen." Take care.
>
> Fred
> The Good Gourmet
> http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

I tried the oven method today. I turned the oven on for about a minute and
then shut it off and put a pan of dinner rolls and a pan of baguettes in to
proof. The proofed product was pretty uneven. What I mean is that the
baguettes had a lumpy crust as though some little creature was inside trying
to break through in spots and the cloverleaf rolls looked kind of funny.
Nevertheless, everything baked to perfection and the product had perfect
texture and good flavor. I think the oven might have proofed a little too
fast and, hence, unevenly. At least the dough was good. I'll keep
experimenting.