bigwheel bigwheel is offline
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Two pounds sugar per gallon of water will max out the bread yeast at around 12% if all goes well..but would require some yeast nutrients other than the small amount of ginger in the wort or at least would seem so. Now this guy seems to think yeast love ginger so maybe not..lol. If the yeast cant handle all the sugar the finished product will be real sweet to the taste. If they can handle all the sugar it will not be sweet but will be below max on the ABV (alcohol by volume) Not sure what the honey could add other than expense. Here is a recipe for a ginger hooch sugar wash for a moonshine run. Might give you some ideas to work with. If you skip the final essential extraction it should wind up as some version of ginger wine..beer or whatever a person might want to call it. The cereal in the recipe should be a good yeast nutrient even though the ferment it is well below the threshold of maximum sugar content. Should also add some extra flavor. PS Edit..make that 1.5 lbs sugar per gallon for bread yeast. I was quoting for distillers yeast..sorry. Been so long since I have messed with ale yeast not quite sure. Its not designed very alcohol tolerant.

Home Distiller • View topic - ginger sugar head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave West View Post
Novice has started making ginger beer using this on-line recipe.

Ginger beer recipe - Channel4 - 4Food

He suggests adding a little honey. Would there be any purpose to this, other
than very slightly changing the taste?

I'm using Allison's dried baking yeast which I know is not as alcohol
tolerant as wine yeast. I understand that 100 gm of granulated sugar to one
litre of water gives about 5% of alcohol by volume roughly.

I would like to increase the alcohol content slightly, so just as a rough
guide; what would likely be the most sugar I could add per litre at the
onset of the process, without the fermentation process choking up?

Last edited by bigwheel : 25-02-2013 at 02:05 AM