Posted to rec.food.cooking
ameliya vii ameliya vii is offline

Default Healthy Snacks For Your Kids

Sliced fruit always make a healthy snack but add yogurt to it as a dip
and kids will love it.
Many years ago, in a time which seems so far away now, I used to have
my own home daycare. In the state of Connecticut, daycare providers
could get reimbursed if they followed a meal plan that provided health
meals and snacks for the kids in their charge. As a mom of my first
child, it was a wonderful way to learn how to give my own child
healthy meals and snacks, as well as the children in my daycare. For
each meal or snack, home daycare providers only received about one
half the reimbursement of what we paid for it, but it was better than
nothing. Plus, we received a whole menu packet of different types of
creative breakfasts, lunches and snacks so the children could have
variety in the healthy meals they were given at home day cares around
the state.
The following list are the most popular choices of healthy snacks,
based on the particular likes and dislikes of the children
in my ca
Popcorn sprinkled with shredded cheese Cheese sticks from the dairy
department ( not the frozen kind)
Yogurt sticks
Whole wheat crackers and cheese ( home made, not the pre-packaged
kind) Whole wheat crackers and peanut butter ( Home made, not the pre-
packaged kind)Celery, carrot or cucumber sticks, alone or dipped in
yogurt or peanut butter

Pretzels and cheese slices
Pretzel sticks dipped in peanut butter
Ants on a log ( celery sticks spread with peanut butter and sprinkled
with raisins) Any of the following fruits: raisins, berries, cut up
apples, oranges, bananas, peaches, pears, cantaloupe or honeydew
melons,grapes ( cut up if they were for young children) served with
peanut butter or yogurt as a dip. Plain yogurt or vanilla yogurt were
favorites.

Cereals: ( with milk or without): Corn, Rice or Bran Chex, Cheerios.
Cut out slices of whole wheat bread ( use cookie cutters to cut heart
shapes, etc.) spread with peanut butter and then add raisins to make a
smiley face.
If your kids are old enough to not choke on nuts, peanuts and almonds
are wonderful snack choices. Serving peanuts in the shell also offers
the challenge of breaking the shells open. Graham crackers spread with
peanut butter.
( This is now one of my favorite healthy snacks as an adult too but I
use low fat peanut butter) Whole wheat English Muffin with shredded
cheese sprinkled on top and microwaved for 15 seconds. ( If your kids
like tomatoes you can add a slice of tomato under the cheese to make a
mini pizza)
These were the most popular choices of my daycare kids but there are
many other options out there. Please feel free to add other
suggestions in the comments below, and happy and healthy eating to you
and your kids!
Read more.. http://bit.ly/Ys47Ch