Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Chayote squash and a little OT & ping Susan

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"Susan" > wrote in message
> That's kind of what I posted earlier that basilisk was pinging me
> about. :-)
>
> I've read it can be used to make a mock apple pie filling, too.
>
> Susan

Yes. I got that idea from Ozgirl. The only problem that I had with
them
was in peeling them. They exude a sticky, slippery, skin irritating
substance. I had to peel them under running water and they were really
hard
to hang onto. I sliced them, cooked them in a pan with a little water
and
cinnamon until tender and then in the days before Splenda, added a
little
Aspartame after cooking. Last time I made them I did use Splenda so
cooked
with it. Served it to my extended family. Did not tell them what it
was at
first and they assumed that it was baked apple slices. Then when I told
them what it was, there was sort of a collective, "Um... Ew", and a
dropping of forks. My extended family are not adventurous eaters.

Although I liked them, they were a PITA to fix. I don't like apples all
that well and that is what these reminded me of, fixed like that. And
baked
apples do not spike me, so there isn't much reason to fix them here.
For
some reason they were dirt cheap in NY. So that was one reason to fix
them
instead of apples. But here? Much harder to find and more expensive.

Yes, they can be difficult to peel and I hate that sticky, milky goop
but worth it in the end I use Stevia at the moment. It comes in
sachets (equivalent to one teaspoon of sugar I think, or maybe two),
that way you don't overdo the sweetness.