Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default anyone have a favorite ranch dressing recipe?

>>> http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide...weeteners.html

>> I have never heard anyone call this "Liar's Glucose" but you and that's
>> really not a good thing to be calling it.

> I call it "Liar's Glucose" as it does not get declared on the label
> as a sugar or a carb due to labeling loophole.
>
>> Yes, it can raise BG in some people but not all.

> I don't believe I am hearing this from you. Liar's Glucose is
> "is a polysaccharide, made of many monosaccharide units, all
> of which are glucose" [1][2]. Liar's Glucose "is easily
> digestible, being absorbed as rapidly as glucose" [2].
> I turn to Glucose right on your tung. So the only way a
> person would not react to to Maltodextrin would be it they
> also did not react to Glucose. I do believe this is called
> being "dead".

I don't know what my tung is. I known what Tung Oil is and I have used it
in refinishing. I do not eat sugar alcohols in any way, shape or form.

> And I carry on about Liar's Glucose because people can get
> hold of products claiming zero carb and zero sugar and
> have all kinds of blood sugar problems from it.
>

>> And by saying this you could lead someone to believe
>> that it could be used for a hypo. And it shouldn't!

> What do you mean "hypo"? Low blood sugar? If so, you
> can use any sugar/carb. The speed would depend on the
> how fast it gets into your system. And the Glycemic
> Index that you do not believe in is one of the best ways
> to predict the speed.

Yes, low blood sugar. And, while you *could* use any carb you would be ill
advised to do so. Fat delays the absorption of carbs. So eating chocolae
is a *bad* way to treat a hypo.

Keep in mind that I have gastroparesis. So the foods that affect *my* BG
the least are things like a potato with no skin, white bread, white rice,
etc. Provided that I don't eat too much of them. Now you can see why your
precious GI is useless to me. For a very long time I could not eat things
like whole grains because they raised my BG too much. As do lentils which
according to the GI should be a good food for diabetics. Beans are great
for me!

>> I hope you *do* know that the Glycemic Index is badly flawed and is not
>> much
>> of a reliable thing to be used by anyone. When they made the thing they
>> used a few healthy young adults to come up with those numbers. And those
>> numbers were only for those specific foods that they tested. Add another
>> food to your meal or snack and the numbers are total nonsense.

> Please back up what you say. If I have to reference that the ocean
> is made up of water to a bunch of sailors, so do you.
>
> -T
>

> 1) http://www.livestrong.com/article/41...-maltodextrin/
>
> 2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltodextrin

Sure! This is probably the best link:

http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

And this is not new news. This article dates to 2006:

http://www.azcentral.com/health/diet...1glycemic.html

This one mentions that it was derived from young, healthy subjects and it
also mentions the flaws.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/m...lycemic-index/

There are plenty of other links but I won't bother. You can look them up if
you want. This has been discussed at length here already over the years.