Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default My favourite soup

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 02/16/2013 03:57 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> > Red lentils according to carb limits

>> Lentils, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, with salt [1]:
>> 39 Grams of carbohydrate per cup.
>>
>> I could count how many lentils I could have on one hand.
>>
>> What would you substitute?
>>

> First, note the 16 or so grams of fiber. Second, if you put the lentils
> in soup, you don't have to have a full 1 cup serving of lentils. I just
> made a soup, but haven't tasted it yet, as it needs a cool-reheat cycle,
> that started with 1/2 cup dry lentils. Given all the other stuff in the
> soup, it will probably be 6 or 8 servings of soup. (There are carbs from
> some of the other veggies, but the bulk of the soup is shredded cabbage.)
>
> I have generally had no difficulty with other legumes in soup, but this
> is my first try in a long time to have lentils. I anticipate extra
> testing tomorrow, to see how this works.
>
> --
> "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
> what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

I don't know why but lentils spike me probably worse than anything else.
Odd because I can eat 1.5 cups of beans with no problems. A few months ago
I tried lentil soup again in a restaurant because I wasn't particularly
hungry. The soup wasn't very good and I only ate a few bites but still got
a nasty spike. Thankfully lentils are my least favorite of the legumes so
it's no great loss to me. I have been able to eat a mixed vegetable soup
with a few lentils in it but not a full on lentil soup.

Todd doesn't subtract fiber because he said his Dr. told him not to.