Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default how long do you need to cook soup to become soup?

"W. Baker" wrote in message ...

Todd > wrote:
: On 02/16/2013 05:31 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: > Todd > wrote:
: > : Hi All,
: >
: > : I have a recipe for mushroom soup that I like. After
: > : frying up the mushrooms an onions, I combine it with various
: > : other stuff and bring it to a boil.
: >
: > : Although it tastes very nice (my wife loves it), I can not help
: > : but think I am eating separate items that have not yet combined
: > : together. I am thinking I did not boil it for long enough for
: > : everything to meld together.
: >
: > : How long do I need to boil the soup before the ingredients
: > : meld? How long do you need to cook soup ingredients before
: > : the become soup?
: >
: > : Many thanks,
: > : -T
: >
: > Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer,
mostlycovered
: > with a crack open and lt cook for as long as it needs for the
flavors to
: > blend. If it is all vegetables this could be 20-30 mins or longer.
If
: > there is meat in the soup, it will need much longer.
: >
: > Wendy
: >

: Thank you! Maybe 10 minutes in the pressure cooker!

Wendy: I wouldthink that a pressure coker , if it is delacate vegetables
might be
overkill. It's works forhearty chicken or bee soups, etc but no more
than
5 mins in the pressure cooker for those veggies and a simmer on a burner
or gas ring or range top etc woudl be gentler on the foods. Everytnng
doesn't work "instant."

Moi: I personally like overkill for vegetable soups. I love the
texture. I use chunky sized vegetables. When I have veggies with a meal
I like them only just cooked past raw though.