Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default how long do you need to cook soup to become soup?

On 02/16/2013 12:13 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> On 02/15/2013 09:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Soup should be simmered

>> Hi Julie,
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Follow up questions:
>>
>> 1) for how long?
>>
>> 2) by simmer, do you mean the lowest boil?
>>
>> -T

> It would help if you would post the recipe. Some soups cook for longer than
> others. And simmer is simmer. Not boil. There is boil and then there is
> hard boil. Boil is when large bubbles begin to come to the surface. If you
> continue to leave it at this heat, it will reach a hard boil where bubbles
> come up furiously. Most food would not need to be boiled like this for very
> long. Dried beans, yes but only for a couple of minutes. Your recipe
> probably said to bring the soup to a boil then turn down the heat. If there
> was anything like cream in the soup, you'd for sure want to cook it on a low
> heat. Various foods need various cooking times. I can comment on your soup
> since I don't know what all was in it. Anything like celery would require a
> longer cooking time. Mushrooms cook quickly.

Hi Julie,

I pulled the recipe out of my ear. I do not know
what I am doing, but I never give up!

2 flats whole white mushrooms, sliced. (Raley's org)
1 med onyawn, diced (TJ's org)

Fry in EVOO until the onyawns are clear and the mushroom
brown a little. Them add

2 cups of my 99:99 chicken broth (it is strong)
2 cups water
salt (guess)
1 cup cream (TJ's org)
parsley flakes (guess) (Frontier org)
1/2 cup sour cream (TJ's org)
paprika (guess) (Swanson org)
~1 tsp squeezed lemon (1/2 a small org TJ lemon)

Bring to a boil. Let cool down on the burner. Give
the Arm Candy a spoon to taste (she loves it).

Any and all modifications/improvements will be greatly
appreciated!

-T