Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] lenona321@yahoo.com is offline

Default Happy (late) 85th, Barbara M. Walker! ("Little House Cookbook")

I've tried nine recipes from the book over the years, plus maybe three more (so long ago that I can't be sure).

My favorites are the codfish balls, the bird's-nest pudding, and the Green Pumpkin Pie. (Depending on where you live, you may be out of luck if you try to find a green pumpkin later than mid-October. I also don't know whether it should be ALL green or not - at any rate, it should weigh at least four pounds.) I like it because it tastes like spicy apple. Maybe that's just the cider vinegar that goes with it.

About the buckwheat pancakes: The recipe calls for two cups buckwheat flour and one cup wholewheat. However, based on painful experience, I'd say that if you've never tasted buckwheat before, chances are you'll want to substitute white flour for at least half the buckwheat!

Re bird's-nest pudding: How does anyone core an apple without making a hole ALL the way down? I don't want the brown sugar to run out.

Apples'n'onions - well, it was OK.

Eggnog - it needed to be thicker, IIRC.

Wedding cake: Maybe I just didn't have good luck the only time I tried it, years ago, but I just don't understand the idea of trying to combine 10 stiffly beaten egg whites with a whole cup of butter! (It was a pretty heavy cake and unappealing - not like pound cake.)

Popcorn balls - OK.

I'd like to try making the vinegar pie and the blueberry pudding. (That one I may have tried already, 20 years ago?)

Lenona.