Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

On 02/09/2013 05:23 PM, Todd wrote:
> The local farm suggests that I use this compost with worm casings
> and bat poop and other stuff. I used a little of it on my tomatoes
> to get them gong last year. And it worked, but I only had two
> weeks before the freeze came and killed everything. My few
> tomatoes before hand were tasteless like store bought tomatoes
> but after they were amazing. But only got two weeks worth -- rats.
> Felt like crying. (Only felt like it, didn't actually do it.
> wouldn't want anyone to mistake me for being "sensitive".)
>
> Do you like this compose idea?

Hi Julie,

I suppose I should declare my soil conditions to you.
My soil started out as decomposed sand stone (like decomposed
granite, only uglier). I spoke with the guy that did my grading on
my property and I am 20 feet or more down from the original
surface. There was no top soil on the surface. If you hit
my dirt when it is really dry with a shovel, it throws sparks.
I have been adding compost for about five years now to my garden.
But only seriously for one year. Last year for the first time
I have earth worms.

Last year I had squash bugs and white mold on my
zucchini.

Also, with your experience at farming and knowing
I am a low carb guy (15 or less per meal), what diabetic
friendly produce would you suggest I try growing? (My
garden resides in Northern Nevada, if that helps. Has
a short growing season. Don't plant till June 1st.)

I would appreciate any suggestion you have.

Many thanks,
-T