Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

On 02/09/2013 12:13 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I was referring to full circle farming. In the chicken -->
>> >out the chicken --> in the soil --> in the plant -->
>> >out the plant --> back into the chicken. Sometimes
>> >other livestock is used.

> That's generally how farming is done. Isn't it? That's the way it's done
> here!

Actually no. If it is done that way where you are, it would
explain why your produce tastes good. Most commercial farms
practice monoculture and use chemicals as fertilizers.
Even the big organic farms use organic approved chemicals.
No farming the soil -- just mass production.

You are blessed to have access to great farms. I only
have access to one. We are in the high Norther Desert
and have a short growing season, so you need greenhouses
and the like to do it up well. Fortunately, I have
access to at least one community farm. I almost pass
out when I go into the tomato green house from all the
oxygen.

>> >Most commercial produce is bread

> Huh? How could produce be bread?

Me and my typos. Should have been "bred".

>> Everyone needs there own farmer. (I have come to
>> so enjoy picking my own tomatoes, peppers, and
>> egg plant. $2.99/lb.)

> That's very expensive! Where do you live where it
> costs that much? I am lucky to have Winco here where
> produce is cheap.

Not for us. No Winco. We do have a Wal Mart (I
don't purchase meat or produce from them). Organic
tomatoes are between $4.99 and 5.99 per pound depending
on the time of year at Raley's and TJ's. And there
is no comparison in quality. Our store bought tomatoes
taste like crap.

I want to shop at your stores!

> I have not honestly noticed too much difference between heirloom tomatoes
> and regular ones as far as the taste goes

You know, if you let the hybrid ones ripen properly, they
are a real treat. I love to chop a variety of both kinds up
on a plate and drizzle with EVOO. All the different flavors.
What a treat. (You will notice that there is no cooking
involved -- that I still stink at.)

-T