Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

On 02/08/2013 10:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> My grandparents had chickens as did my best friend when I was growing up.
> So nobody needs to explain chickens to me.

I was referring to full circle farming. In the chicken -->
out the chicken --> in the soil --> in the plant -->
out the plant --> back into the chicken. Sometimes
other livestock is used.

Most commercial produce is bread for two purposes:
1) to lay flat in a shipping container and 2) not
to rot in the container. This is one of the reasons
why it tastes like crap. Another reason is that
commercial produce is very seldom grown full circle,
not even organic produce. Plus commercial organic
produce is picked so green is bad for you.

Oh I so know what you mean about the farmers markets.
You are blessed to have good source of produce at
your stores. I too love my produce (grown right).

Everyone needs there own farmer. (I have come to
so enjoy picking my own tomatoes, peppers, and
egg plant. $2.99/lb.)

Oh! Have you tried real spinach. Spinach is not flat.
Only the hybridized stuff lays flat in a shipping container.
Which is probably why is tastes like crap. The real stuff
is all crinkly. I was thinking of trying to grow some
real heirloom spinach to see how much different it tastes.
Have you tried any heirloom spiniches.

-T