The Joneses

Default Fermented Pickle Problem?

Joe Sallustio wrote:

> Edrena,
> I have a pH meter and can titrate the acid, I use the equipment for
> measurements in winemaking.
>
> pH and percent acid are not related very well, pH is a log measurement
> where that percent value is a linear function. I would expect it to
> read below 7 which is not an acid or a base, 6.5 makes sense. A pH of
> 5 is 10 times 'stronger' than a pH of 6.
> I can email you a pH meter FAQ from rec.crafts.winemaking if you would
> like. It applies to meters in general and explains what you need to
> do the measurements and how to calibrate the meter. A decent meter is
> around $50 to $80 (US), you need calibration supplies too, that can
> vary from $15 to $30.
> I think titration equipmnet is what you you want, you can buy that at
> a local winemaking shop for around $10. It measures in a linear
> value. The stuff in winemaking shops is really not intended to
> measure acid that high; 5% is about 5 to 10 times more than wine
> normally is. It would work but it may need a fudge factor for the
> type of acid. Vinegar is acetic acid, wines in the US are expressed as
> tartaric.
> Grainger.com is all over the US and Canada and has decent meters at a
> decent price.

Yeehaw. That's a lot of info. I flunked chemistry about thirty years ago so
some of them words is patently not English I did stop by a scientifc
supplier here in town who would order me a handheld meter for about $80US. I
bought a package of ph test strips instead.
I'd like to see that winemaking FAQ ( I got a book around here sumplace), just
to figger out the difference between titration and linears and stuff.
Many thanks,
Edrena