Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Creole vs. Cajun seasoning -- difference"

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> As the subject line says, is there a specific difference between the
> two? Clueless northerner wants to know.
> Janet US

The Creoles were a higher social class than the Cajuns. I believe they
use the same spices, but Creole food has more sophisticated
preparations. Gross simplification: Creole is European (French and
Spanish) with African influence. Cajun is poor country-folk food
(one-pot meals) with Creole influence and probably uses more peppers.

Jambalaya is a Creole dish, and closely resembles paella. Gumbo is
Cajun, and basically a spicy stew made with chicken or locally-caught
fish and shellfish. I don't know if anyone makes squirrel gumbo, but it
would fit.

I could be totally wrong about this; but that's how it looked from East
Texas ;-)

Bob