Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Creole vs. Cajun seasoning -- difference"

On 2013-02-04, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> region. It doesn't answer the question 'is there a specific type of
> seasoning that is Cajun and one that is Creole?' Is there a specific
> spice or herb or combination that immediately identifies Creole or
> Cajun?

In practical terms, no.

I've only seen a distinction, once. That was with Golden Dipt, a line
of mixes and marinades from McCormick. They came out with a marinade
called Creole, years ago. I've praised it highly and often, here in
rfc. Then, it disappeared off the market. Now, I see GD Cajun
marinade is available. Is it the same? I don't know as I've not
tried the newer Cajun version. I will.

If you look at blends like Emeril's, Taggart's, Chachere's, Old Bay
(same stuff), they all say Creole or nothing (OB). Penzey's and SF
Herb Co call theirs Cajun. But, you note the individual spices and
it's mostly all the same thing, give or take an herb or two. More
alike than different.

In all the years I've been studying/eating Creole and Cajun cuisine,
near as I kin tell, it's basically a class distinction. The Creoles
were proud up-town Nawlins folk, all hoity-toity in their perceived fine
aristocratic heritage. Cajuns were equally proud of being down home
country folk with a fiercely independent streak. Whatever, most folks
can't tell the difference between either's traditional spice blends.

Me? Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn! Jes gimme SOME!!

nb