Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Let's talk pickles!

Julie Bove > wrote:
: >> There was an amputee named Guy who used to post here. He claims his
: >> problem
: >> started with a fungal infection. Not from eating carbs.
: >
: > The individual I spoke of dropped something of his foot. Two
: > weeks apart on each foot. Got infected. Went into gangerine.
: > It started with carbs. Guy probably had neuropathy. And
: > that indeed started with too many carbs.

: No. It didn't start with carbs. It started when he dropped something on
: his feet and then there was the infection. We do not know from there if he
: treated the infection properly. I do not know if Guy had neuropathy or not
: but I do know that he didn't eat a lot of carbs. And he was a type 1! He
: was posting here long before I came here so I only know what he posted after
: I came here. I believe that his wife was Latino and he used to say that he
: couldn't always eat everything that she made. If she made tacos, he could
: eat one.

This is often how the problems that lead to amputation in diabetics get
started. It is that issue of slow or poor wound healing and dontrolling
infection. Somthinglike, object dropped on foot, step on object and don't
feel it, rub off skin, etc. happens and it starts an infection which
spreads and can't be controlled and leads to gangrene and often
amputation. why do you think you are told not to wlak barefoot? It is
part of the prevention of infectionto amputation problem. No, not every
poorly controlled diabetic has an amputation, but a high percentage of
amputaions(aside form terrible war injuries) are the result of diabtic
people beign unable to deal with foot and leg injuries that mean little or
nothing for non-diabetics.

Why do you think there is alwasy such emphasis on foot care for diabetics
in literature and in advice given. Yu have alwasy said that no one ws
allowed to go barefoot in your house as a child, so that could well have
helped your reletives with diabetes even when they had high bgs.

Wendy