Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Let's talk pickles!

On 02/02/2013 12:36 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>>
>> The T2 I spoke of was wearing short pants, making with mechanical
>> feet very obvious, while he made himself a hamburger on a huge
>> white bread bun (solid sugar) and smeared catchup (liquid sugar)
>> all over it. I was freaking out pointing at the stuff. He didn't
>> care. We said he went on insulin as he couldn't take the
>> restrictions. Broke my heart. He is a really nice guy too.

> Buns are not solid sugar! And ketchup isn't liquid sugar although it
> usually contains some or HFCS but you can get the SF stuff.

One slice of wheat bread is 12 grams of carbs. A hamburger bun
is two thick pieces. So a least 24 grams if not more.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4868/2

Ketchup is 4 grams of carb per tablespoon. You can guess how many
tablespoons he squirted on. So a least 12 grams.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3005/2

If he only ate one burger and nothing else, he would be at least
up to 36 grams! That is really keeping it down to 15! Yikes.

And, he had had a heart attack and lost both of his feet.
Very, very sad. He is a really nice guy too.

>> I have "heard" that carbs can be addictive. They create some kind
>> of weird chemistry in the brain. He must have it really bad.

> For some people they are. Certainly not all. And you shouldn't make
> assumptions about others. Here in the US, eating a burger on a bun is not
> at all unusual.

It is INSANE for a T2. The rest, I would agree. I was speaking
of a T2.

By the way, Wendy's and In and Out will do Protein Style burger
for around 14 grams of carb. If it is not enough food they both
will add extra cheese. (They sub lettuce for the bun and no ketchup
or secret sauce.)

>> To me "carbs" are poison, both intellectually and emotionally.
>> So, I guess not to judge unless you walk in some else's
>> shoes.

> Very true.

He may rather be dead than be without his carbs. It breaks
my heart to see him walking around on his mechanical legs.
Especially knowing it was self inflicted and was under
his control not to have this happen to him.

-T