Vox Humana

Default Need a 3'X3'X3' cake

"Rod" > wrote in message
news:xg7kb.2828$B_2.2226@okepread02...
> Hi, I'm new to baking and I want to bake a cake with the following
> dimensions: 3'X3'X3'. Asssmue standard oven and a time frame of about 5
> days. What materials will I need (best size cake pans? Should I go with

cake
> mix or just raw materials?). What's the best solution for the obvious
> structural issues? Is this even realistic?

I would get a 9x9x3 inch pan and cut the cake into nine pieces that are
3X3X3. Cake supply stores will have 3" deep pans. You might look under
"cheesecake pan" as they are generally 3 inches deep and have a removable
bottom. If that doesn't work for you, then I would cut some cardboard
(think gift box) to a width of 3 1/2 inches and cover it with foil. I would
line the sides of a 9X9 or 6X6 inch square pan with the foil to extend the
depth. Bake the cake and then cut it into the size you want with a serrated
knife. Once it is frosted no one will know the difference. You might want
to decrease the baking temperature by 25F and extend the baking time. With
a cake that thick you can count on it forming a dome that will have to be
leveled.

If you don't have a local source for pans you might try Sugarcraft
www.sugarcraft.com They might be able to FedEx or UPS the pan overnight.