Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

On 02/02/2013 10:47 AM, Gary wrote:

> For example... say for a party of 2-3 people and the bill comes to $100.
> Rather than pay $118, I will pay $125-130. We are talking a small
> difference of 7-12 dollars extra here for a tip to help out a good waitress
> who probably makes about $3 per hour plus tips.
>
> Your bill would be at least $118 (with an 18% tip). Will it kill you to add
> a few more dollars and make someones day?

Okay... turn it around..... if it is a small difference it shouldn't
affect the server if you don't leave it.

> IMO, people that are tight with tipping should stay home and cook.

I don't have a problem with the amount so much as I do with the
institution of tipping, the idea that some people should be so poorly
paid that they have to depend on the generosity of their customers to
make a decent living. I am all in favour of a system like they have in
places like the Netherlands, Germany and (most of) France where tax and
service are included in the menu price, so what you see is what you pay.
If you order 6 items ate 5 Euros, your bill is 30 Euros.... no extras
for tax, no calculating what is appropriate for a tip.

Bear mind that a tip, or gratuity, by definition, is voluntary. Some
people in the business have come to expect it, a sort of entitlement.
Not only that, the expect to be tipped a percentage on the entire bill,
including the tax. Worse yet, they argue that because of inflation the
percentage should be higher, suggesting a minimum of 20%.

Then we hear the argument that if you can afford to go out for dinner
you can afford to leave a big tip. Screw that. If they want to jack up
their prices with outrageous markups I am already paying a lot for the
luxury of going out to eat. For instance, we went to a place last
summer where they charge $14 for glass of wine, about the same price as
a whole bottle of that particular wine. That means a 500-600% markup on
the wine.

I am supposed to pay 15% on top of that for a service...... $12 to pour
the wine into a glass and walk 20 feet to the table?? Hold it.... no,
that is not enough..... it is an expensive restaurant, and if I can
afford to pay their high prices I should be able to afford 20%.. Not
when I am already being gouged. Sorry, but that is a racket.