Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

On 2 Feb 2013 14:20:47 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> This entire issue could easily be solved if the establishment DID put
> the charge up front. Large block letters hanging over the door. YOU
> WILL BE CHARGED....! But no, most establishments hide it, like a
> dirty littel secret, then spring it at the last moment. 'Well, we
> want your business, but we want you to pay extra if...' It's a cheat,
> a con, and it's as slimey as the non-tippers in groups who hide behind
> the anonymity of numbers.

Automatic gratuity for parties over x people is usually in plain
letters at the bottom of the menu. Most people haven't just fallen
off the haywagon; so if an automatic gratuity charge is something you
can't deal with - ask to see a menu before you put your butt in the
chair or call first and ASK the host/hostess about their large group
policy.