Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

notbob wrote:
> Boy, this outta be good for a battle royal.
>
> Should restaurant patrons be subject to an automatic surcharge (it's
> not a tip!) for groups over a certain number?
>
> I think not. I once ran across this at a Chevy's. Surcharge for
> parties over six ppl. For what? Why? How is serving 6 ppl at one
> table more work than serving 3 ppl at two tables? And 18%! That's
> almost one fifth of the total added on. It's not only unfair, it's a
> rip-off, pure and simple. If it's such a chore to serve 6 ppl at one
> table, perhaps the proprietor should find another line of work or have
> smaller tables with a big sign out front.
>
> BTW, how in God's name (it was church folk) did 20 ppl manage to run
> up a bill of only $34 at an Applebees? Did they all order jes one
> Coke? If I'd been the mgr, Ida told the entire lot to "fly away"
> ....NOW!

If there's a surcharge (which ****es me off), I don't leave a tip. I
tend to order cheap, but I'm a big tipper, so the waitress gets less
this way.

They must have each ordered just a coffee or iced tea. And then
probably sat there taking up a big table for 90 minutes. If the place
was almost empty, that's OK. If it was busy, manager should've asked
them (after about 20 minutes) to order some food or leave.

Bob