Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

On 02/02/2013 9:31 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> You can make arguments both ways, such as paying a good wage and
>> eliminating the tip. As long as you know up front, I don't have a
>> problem with the 18% add on. Every year at our Christmas party (about
>> 40 people) they add the 18%. Unlike the cheapo pastor, the bill is
>> paid with additional tip added.

> I don't eat out often but when I do I always tip 25-30 percent. I know
> that's high but I also realize that waitresses get paid very little and
> count on tips. I appreciate their care (if it's good) so I don't mind
> paying that.

You're right. It is high.

> If I wanted to save money, I'd cook at home for much cheaper, even without
> the tip.

Sorry, but I don't buy into the argument that if you can afford to eat
out you can afford to pay a larger tip. I am not into playing Mr.
Bigshot and expecting wait staff to jump when I snap my fingers. They
aren't trained dogs. The taking of orders and delivery of food is part
of the service that you get when you eat in a restaurant. If I have to
pay extra to get a smile and the patronizing tip soliciting behaviour I
will take the food without the smile and save the money.