Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> You can make arguments both ways, such as paying a good wage and
> eliminating the tip. As long as you know up front, I don't have a
> problem with the 18% add on. Every year at our Christmas party (about
> 40 people) they add the 18%. Unlike the cheapo pastor, the bill is
> paid with additional tip added.

I don't eat out often but when I do I always tip 25-30 percent. I know
that's high but I also realize that waitresses get paid very little and
count on tips. I appreciate their care (if it's good) so I don't mind
paying that.

If I wanted to save money, I'd cook at home for much cheaper, even without
the tip.

Gary