Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

On 2 Feb 2013 13:00:23 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Boy, this outta be good for a battle royal.
>
>Should restaurant patrons be subject to an automatic surcharge (it's
>not a tip!) for groups over a certain number?
>
>I think not. I once ran across this at a Chevy's. Surcharge for
>parties over six ppl. For what? Why? How is serving 6 ppl at one
>table more work than serving 3 ppl at two tables? And 18%! That's
>almost one fifth of the total added on. It's not only unfair, it's a
>rip-off, pure and simple. If it's such a chore to serve 6 ppl at one
>table, perhaps the proprietor should find another line of work or have
>smaller tables with a big sign out front.
>
>BTW, how in God's name (it was church folk) did 20 ppl manage to run
>up a bill of only $34 at an Applebees? Did they all order jes one
>Coke? If I'd been the mgr, Ida told the entire lot to "fly away"
>....NOW!
>
>nb

Surcharge? No. Tip? Yes.

If the surcharge is going to the house, I'd walk out. If going to the
wait staff, I'd just pay it and not leave a tip since that is the tip.
While I'm of the nature that it should be my choice how much to tip,
there are valid reasons to charge for the larger parties. The reason
is, left to their own devices, they usually don't tip much at all. The
larger the group, the more meager the tip.

You can make arguments both ways, such as paying a good wage and
eliminating the tip. As long as you know up front, I don't have a
problem with the 18% add on. Every year at our Christmas party (about
40 people) they add the 18%. Unlike the cheapo pastor, the bill is
paid with additional tip added.