Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Fresh cod!

pavane > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > ..................
: > I wwoul dlove to be able tobuy cod to use in dishes like what my kids call
: > Delicious fish soup< a kind of Italian tommato, vegetables, fish and a bit
: > of cheese soup that is really a kind of stew and makes a great dinner. I
: > will make it with Pollack if I can find it or other plain white fish. I
: > don't know if tilapia wold work.
: >
: > Delicious Fish Soup(measurements are not critical)
: >
: > Olive oil for frying
: > 1 1/2 C coasrely chopped onion
: > 3/4 C green pepper3 cloves garlis pressed or very finely chopped
: > 28 oz can Italian plum tomatoes
: > 1 C water(use to rinse the tomato can:-)
: > 1C white (or any left over) dry wine
: > 2 C diced peeled potatoes(can use less if you want)
: > 1Tsp(at least) fennel seed
: > Salt and FGBP to taste
: > Oregono, thyme and basil to taste(minimum 1 Tsp)
: > 2 lbs white fish like Haddock, cod, ollack, etc, whatever is lest
: > expensive
: > Parigiano grated cheese to taste
: >
: > in the soup pot, soft saute the onions garlic and greenpepper in olive
: > oil. Add tomatos, water wine potatoes, fennel seedand salat and pepper.
: > Simmer about 30 mins. Now, if you are going to eat all the soup on one
: > night(4 people for a meal-more for a first course) add all the herbs and
: > the fish cut in largish cubes and cook only until the fish is just
: > cooked,about 10 mins. Serve in bowls with plentyof parmgiano cheese
: > sprinkled on top.
: >
: > If you are not going to eat it all at once, but want it for several
: > nights. divide the soup you won't be eatng into contaiers and
: > refrigerate. dAdd onpy a proportion of the herbs and fish to the soup
: > still in the pot and cook just until the fish is done. The next night use
: > a container of soup and add the proportion of fish and herbs and cook just
: > until the fish is cooked. If you do all the fish and then save it for a
: > later night, it comes out too fishy tasting and looses its delicious
: > quality.
: >
: > Wendy

: This is a beautiful recipe, thanks for posting it.

: I'd like to try it with some fresh fennel, a small bulb worth,
: sliced into the broth with the onions and such. It would give
: you very nice flavor and a bit more crunch in the body of the
: soup. Possibly then diminish or eliminate the fennel seeds.
: And you might add a pinch of saffron, nudging it toward
: a Bouillabaisse flavor. Or use a bottle or so of clam juice
: to replace some of the water. This is a neat recipe to
: play around with. Definitely Delicious.

: pavane

Not only delicious but quite fast for soup of stew. Less than an hour and
it's done from start to finish! The Fennel should be good, but I actually
like those fennel seeds, which get a bit soft in the soup(notice they are
put ina an early stage). This probably was developed as a quick and dirty
verson of either B
Bouillabasse or an Italian chioppino. For me it is ideal because I don't
eat shellfish with usually is a big part of these Mediterainian soups.

Wendy