Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Bjørn Steensrud Bjørn Steensrud is offline

Default Fresh cod!

W. Baker wrote:

> Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
> : Here, it's the season for Skrei[0] - fresh cod, coming from the Arctic
> : Ocean to the coast of North Norway to spawn. They arrive in large
> : numbers, thanks to conservation efforts that have built up the stocks
> : again. Fresh fish is airlifted to us poor southerners, and I think also
> : elsewhere in the world - le Skrei was introduced in France a year or so
> : ago. And it is NOT farmed :-)

(snip)

> First, Congratuations on your daughter's achieving her PhD. What field is
> she in?

Medicine, like her husband. She's in Ob-Gyn. he's a surgeon.

> fishing in New England and up into Canada. some ships hang around just
> outside the 200 mile limit and still over-fish. Perhaps your Norwegian
> cod are a different strain so the are more abundant and can be safely (for
> the cod ) fised seasonally.

Different cod populations, yes - the Grand Banks population collapsed and
may be on its way back? The east Atlantic stock was also declining due to
pverfishing, for once the fishermen listened to the scientist and the stock
is once more abundant. (On a side note, Norwegian lobster catchers are
finally doing like their North American colleagues and releasing female
lobsters ...)

> I wwoul dlove to be able tobuy cod to use in dishes like what my kids call
> Delicious fish soup< a kind of Italian tommato, vegetables, fish and a bit
> of cheese soup that is really a kind of stew and makes a great dinner. I
> will make it with Pollack if I can find it or other plain white fish. I
> don't know if tilapia wold work.
>
> Delicious Fish Soup(measurements are not critical)
>
> Olive oil for frying
> 1 1/2 C coasrely chopped onion
> 3/4 C green pepper3 cloves garlis pressed or very finely chopped
> 28 oz can Italian plum tomatoes
> 1 C water(use to rinse the tomato can:-)
> 1C white (or any left over) dry wine
> 2 C diced peeled potatoes(can use less if you want)
> 1Tsp(at least) fennel seed
> Salt and FGBP to taste
> Oregono, thyme and basil to taste(minimum 1 Tsp)
> 2 lbs white fish like Haddock, cod, ollack, etc, whatever is lest
> expensive
> Parigiano grated cheese to taste
>
> in the soup pot, soft saute the onions garlic and greenpepper in olive
> oil. Add tomatos, water wine potatoes, fennel seedand salat and pepper.
> Simmer about 30 mins. Now, if you are going to eat all the soup on one
> night(4 people for a meal-more for a first course) add all the herbs and
> the fish cut in largish cubes and cook only until the fish is just
> cooked,about 10 mins. Serve in bowls with plentyof parmgiano cheese
> sprinkled on top.
>
> If you are not going to eat it all at once, but want it for several
> nights. divide the soup you won't be eatng into contaiers and
> refrigerate. dAdd onpy a proportion of the herbs and fish to the soup
> still in the pot and cook just until the fish is done. The next night use
> a container of soup and add the proportion of fish and herbs and cook just
> until the fish is cooked. If you do all the fish and then save it for a
> later night, it comes out too fishy tasting and looses its delicious
> quality.
>
> Wendy

Thanks, Wendy, saved!

For some reason haddock is hard to find in stores, but can be had at the
harbor where a boat or two sells fresh caught shrimp and whatever side
catches of fish they get ...