Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pancakes To Waffles - Recipe Differences

On 27/01/2013 1:17 PM, Steve Freides wrote:

> I will start by asking if there is _any_ compelling reason to even
> change the recipe at all? The only thing I can think of is, since the
> waffle iron contains the batter, it can be thinner - that seems a reason
> to me, and using water instead of milk would result in thinner batter,
> so I think I'm on board with that particular change. Would using milk
> in the waffle batter tend to make it stick to the waffle iron, or create
> "too-fluffy" waffles, if there is such a thing?

Not really. Pancake recipes vary and waffle recipes vary. I make no
claim to being an expert on waffles, but I do make them about once a
month, so that probably gives me more experience with them than most
people. The only real difference between the batters that I use is that
I separate the eggs, beat the whites and then fold them in.

> Thanks very much and, yes, I do cook from scratch sometimes, not from
> mixes and frozen food, just not during my busy season of work, which is
> right now. I'm curious about this in an Alton Brown kind of way.
> I'd like to know if there is any sound reasoning and science behind
> these changes.

Pancake mix is one of my pet peeves. While some here have claimed that
they are good add water only mixes, I haven't found any that rival home
made. The other mixes usually want you to add milk, eggs and oil, and
tht means that you are paying big bucks for a mix that is just flour,
salt, sugar and baking powder. You use so little of them that their cost
is negligible.