Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Freides[_2_] Steve Freides[_2_] is offline

Default Pancakes To Waffles - Recipe Differences

If memory serves, we recently had a discussion about recipe differences
between pancakes and waffles. I think my wife had found a pancake mix
here that suggested leaving out the egg yolks (or maybe it was the egg
whites) when preparing this mix for waffles instead of pancakes.

Today, I happened to be going through the pantry, looking for things I
could use up, and found one open and one unopened box of Pumpkin Pancake
and Waffle Mix, presumably from November (think: Thanksgiving) from
Trader Joe's. This box says to substitute water for the milk, in equal
quantity, IOW, milk gives you pancake batter but the same amount of
water instead gives you waffle batter.

I will start by asking if there is _any_ compelling reason to even
change the recipe at all? The only thing I can think of is, since the
waffle iron contains the batter, it can be thinner - that seems a reason
to me, and using water instead of milk would result in thinner batter,
so I think I'm on board with that particular change. Would using milk
in the waffle batter tend to make it stick to the waffle iron, or create
"too-fluffy" waffles, if there is such a thing?

If anyone would care to track down and review that other recent thread
and/or contribute anything else, that'd be great.

Thanks very much and, yes, I do cook from scratch sometimes, not from
mixes and frozen food, just not during my busy season of work, which is
right now. I'm curious about this in an Alton Brown kind of way.
I'd like to know if there is any sound reasoning and science behind
these changes.

Thanks again.

-S-