Ross Reid

Default Fermented Pickle Problem?

(Joe Sallustio) wrote:

>I am attempting my first batch of fermented pickles and am not sure if
>I have a problem or not.
>
>I am a wine and beer maker and am used to seeing at least some
>bubbling as a byproduct of fermentation. If that's happening, I am
>missing it.
>
>I followed the guidelines on the USDA website since that seems to be
>what most state extension agents refer to. I used pickling salt, the
>only deviation from the USDA gudlines was addition of at least twice
>the amount of garlic they suggested.
>
>These have been fermenting for slightly over two weeks at around 70F
>under a towel, I check each day and remove any mold that forms on the
>pickling liquid.
>
>The cucumbers are at least two inches under the liquid. I tasted one
>last week, I got mostly salt from it. Good, but not exactly a pickle.
> This weeks sample may have been closer to a pickle, but I have no
>experience here and want to ensure I am making food, not something
>else... They look like pickles and are firm.
>
>My question is this:
>
>Should I see signs of active fementation, like bubbles? If so, and am
>not seeing them is there anything I should do or should I pitch these
>and try again? It's a 5 gallon batch, I had a LOT of cucumbers.
>
>I can pull a sample and check the amount of acid and pH of the liquid,
>but have no guideline as to expected values. If I should do that any
>advice would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance and best regards,
>Joe

Sounds like everything is going along as it should.
With your wine and beer making, primary fermentation is via yeast and
is normally over in less than a week so, you see lots of activity and
bubbles.
With pickles and sauerkraut, the fermentation is mainly via bacteria
and takes upwards of 4 to 6 weeks so, there is not really any sign of
an active fermentation.
To paraphrase Charlie Papazian: RDWHAHP (Relax Don't Worry Have A
Homemade Pickle).

Ross.