Posted to rec.food.cooking
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default tarragon; was REC: Coq au Vin Blanc

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 22:49:34 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> I would venture to say its tougher than Rosemary. We have severe
>>> frosts here and I've lost many Rosemary bushes... the Tarragon always
>>> dies back in winter but come springtime, it always regrows.

>>But it should be divided aobut every 3 years to keep it vigourous. I love
>>tarragon - one of those swoon worthy herbs.

> That's something I should do... will do today.
> Thanks

Yikes! I didn't mean for that advice to be taken literally for action at
this time of the year. I'm done for by the garden heat by midday so imagine
how a transplanted herb may react.

If you are going to do it today however, check how the temps are going to go
over the next few days. And try to give it some shade for a few days so it
can settle in and water well too till it gets its roots established. I cut
bits of Sacred Bamboo (nandina domestica) and use that as shade unbrellas to
protect transplants - works a treat and the only real reason why it's worth
growing as far as I'm concerned.