Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default REC: Coq au Vin Blanc

Coq au vin rouge is one of the world's most famous dishes and, as far as
I am concerned, also one of the most overrated. It is incomparably
better made with (and accompanied by) white wine. I posted an Alsatian
version of coq au Riesling before; this one is made with chardonnay and
is very nice indeed, too. Instead of a jointed whole chicken I used
chicken legs and thighs; instead of butter flavoured with Oregon black
truffles I used Italian-produced butter flavoured with summer truffles;
instead of pearl onions I used small shallots, peeled but not blanched.

Victor

Pairings: Coq au Vin Blanc
By FLORENCE FABRICANT

Just as Oregon borrows from Burgundy in vineyards planted with pinot
noirs and chardonnays, that region also inspires dinner. The iconic
boeuf bourguignon would not be the best choice with chardonnay, but this
version of coq au vin, replacing Chambertin with chardonnay, couldn't be
better. I went light with it, omitting the bacon lardons. And I gave a
nod to Oregon's truffle crop by finishing the sauce with a gloss of
black truffle butter. It's a modest investment that elevates the dish.
A generous slab of unsalted butter (especially if it's high-fat
European-style) could also bolster the sauce, though with less foxy
intrigue.

Coq au Vin Blanc
Time: 1 hour 20 minutes

1 tablespoon grape-seed oil
1 3 1/2-pound chicken, in 10 pieces without backbone, dried
Salt and ground white pepper
8 ounces white pearl onions, blanched 3 minutes and peeled
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
4 cloves garlic, sliced
9 ounces oyster mushrooms, trimmed, clumps separated
3/4 cup chardonnay
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter (unsalted or black truffle)
1 tablespoon minced tarragon

1. Heat the oil on medium-high in a 4-quart stovetop casserole or sauté
pan. Add the chicken, skin side down, as many pieces as fit
comfortably. Cook until lightly browned, season with salt and pepper
and turn to brown other side. Remove to a platter when done and repeat
with the remaining chicken.

2. Add the pearl onions to casserole and toss in fat until lightly
browned. Remove to a dish. Reduce heat to low. Add the chopped onion,
celery and garlic, cook until softened, and stir in the mushrooms. When
they wilt, add the wine, bring to a simmer and season with salt, pepper
and lemon juice. Return chicken to casserole with any accumulated
juices, baste, cover and cook 30 minutes, basting a few more times.
Remove the chicken to a platter.

3. Increase heat to medium-high and cook the sauce and mushrooms about
5 minutes, until sauce thickens slightly. Lower heat, add the pearl
onions and butter. When butter melts, check seasonings, return chicken
to casserole, baste and simmer a few minutes. Serve from casserole or
transfer to a deep platter. Scatter the tarragon on top before serving.

Yield: 4 servings.