Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking
Nicole Massey Nicole Massey is offline

Default What fruits are best to ferment

"jim west" > wrote in message
> Posted this in rec.crafts.winemaking, but have just discovered the
> rec.crafts.brewing group which I guess is probably more appropriate,
> since it's not about wine.
>
> "Complete novice has started fermenting orange juice and a mixture of
> orange
> juice and sliced apple. Are these good fruits to go for or would I get
> better results from other fruits?
>
> Also I would be grateful to know very roughly how much sugar to how much
> liquid produces what percentage of alcohol? Thanks."

> The sugar to alcohol question was kindly well dealt with, but i'm still
> with the question on what fruits would give a good taste and give *easy*
> results. Many thanks.

The first answer is a simple one -- use fruits you think taste good.
The second answer is a bit more complex. Some fruits do better than others.
Fruits with a more bold flavor will permeate the wine or mead better. For
example, the more subtle flavor of peach sometimes gets lost.
Caveat emptor. Understand that since you're using both a sweetened juice and
sugar (or honey or syrup for melomels) you're going to have to be more
careful to keep from getting a stuck fermentation, and you also run the risk
of creating something with a lot more octane, as these two sugar sources
will make a hardier yeast process more of the sugar. If you want a fruity
drink, then use lower alcohol yeasts, with the note that if you're looking
for anything with any sweetness then it'll be hard to get an alcohol level
with a vinometer, as they don't give true readings if there's still sugar in
the product.
And BTW, wine made with fruit other than grapes are called "country wines"
and are topical in my personal opinion to any wine list or newsgroup, as
they're still wines.
My personal favorites are melomels with blueberry, organic apple cider, (the
one gallon glass jugs from Whole Foods make a great primary for small
batches) and elderberry. (Use champagne yeast on the latter for a crackling
wine) I also made a great dessert wine using the recipe for Earl Grey
Metheglyn from the first Bees Lees volume using a petit syrah grape body and
blood oranges along with Twinings Earl Grey and high pollen count honey.