Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

Default Perfect whole wheat loaf

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Thu, 15
Jan 2004 13:01:58 -0500, during the rec.food.baking Community News
Flash "Sue Evans" > reported:

>I have never baked a loaf of bread in my life, but I am contemplating it
>because I can no longer buy my favourite whole wheat loaf. It has changed
>from a dense, more uniform type of dryish loaf to a lighter stretchier type
>loaf with a thick crust. I realize that the baking technique affects the
>result of the loaf as much as the recipe, but I am hoping that one of you
>experienced bakers can provide me with a recipe which gives me a fighting
>chance of getting my loaf.
>Hope you can help.
>TIA,
>Newbie

You should also ask on alt.bread.recipes, so I'm cross posting this to
there as well.

I use this recipe from the Joy of Cooking (old edition from the 1970s)

2 cups milk - scald, then add...

3 tbsp margarine
1 tbsp salt
3 tbsp honey - mix until all melted then place in a large bowl and let
cool till lukewarm

Separately - dissolve 25-28 grams yeast (1 oz) in 1/3 of a cup of warm
water, then add to above

1/2 cup of wheat germ - add to above (I might also add oat bran as
well) and mix well

Mix in whole wheat flour gradually until not too sticky, then turn out
and knead in more flour until the dough is smooth and elastic. Return
to bowl and cover and let rise for about one hour. Punch down and
then let rise again for 30 minutes. Turn out and knead again just
enough to shape into loaves. (This makes two standard loaves if put
in standard pans, but I like to shape them freely.) Let rise again
until double in bulk (about 45 minutes) then bake for about 45 minutes
at 190oC (sorry, I don't do F anymore).

Good luck!

(I also substitute water for the milk and then sometimes add one more
tablespoon of honey to make up for the lost sweetness from the milk.)

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
< davida at jdc dot org dot il >