Posted to alt.food.wine
Eric Lafontaine[_2_] Eric Lafontaine[_2_] is offline

Default Fun surprise with mushrooms

On 2012-12-11 18:21, Emery Davis wrote:
> On 12/11/2012 07:51 AM, lleichtman wrote:
>> On Monday, December 10, 2012 3:47:40 PM UTC-7, jcoulter wrote:
>>> I was debating whether or not to put some mushrooms on my Risotto
>>>
>>> Milanese last night so I popped couple in my mouth to taste them.
>>> Not so
>>>
>>> good so I opted out ofthe mushroom garnish. I then tried a sip of
>>> the
>>>
>>> Barbera d'Asti that I had opened. I had orignally wanted to go with
>>>

>>> Dolcetto but didn't have any. I suppose a Valpolicella might have
>>> been a
>>>
>>> little nicer, but the real shock was the absolute horrible vinegar
>>> sour
>>>
>>> etc taste. As per custom I had Beverly try. She said, "Yumm I like
>>> it!"
>>>
>>> end result Barbera so so with Osso Bucco but OMG bad with off over
>>> the
>>>
>>> hill mushrooms!
>>>

>>> Joseph Coulter
>>>
>>> having found my eternal september settings again!

>> Depending on the mushrooms, you could have made yourself really sick.
>> I'm assuming these were store bought not picked. Many bolletes can
>> have really negative reactions with alcohol in some folks.
>>

> Really? I know that Boletus satanus will make you very sick, and even
> more so when combined with alcohol. and there are a small handful that
> are simply inedible. I can't think of another one that's particularly
> reactive with alcohol.

As far as I know, B. satanas is (mildly) poisonous, regardless of
alcohol pairing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boletus_satanas) and
hardly edible, due to its bitter taste and putrid smell (except maybe in
very young specimens)
Now, (some) ink caps are horses of quite a different color
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprinopsis_atramentaria
No idea if you have them there, the shaggy one is a treat

--
Éric Lafontaine