Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Fun surprise with mushrooms

On 12/11/2012 07:51 AM, lleichtman wrote:
> On Monday, December 10, 2012 3:47:40 PM UTC-7, jcoulter wrote:
>> I was debating whether or not to put some mushrooms on my Risotto
>>
>> Milanese last night so I popped couple in my mouth to taste them.
>> Not so
>>
>> good so I opted out ofthe mushroom garnish. I then tried a sip of
>> the
>>
>> Barbera d'Asti that I had opened. I had orignally wanted to go with
>>

>> Dolcetto but didn't have any. I suppose a Valpolicella might have
>> been a
>>
>> little nicer, but the real shock was the absolute horrible vinegar
>> sour
>>
>> etc taste. As per custom I had Beverly try. She said, "Yumm I like
>> it!"
>>
>> end result Barbera so so with Osso Bucco but OMG bad with off over
>> the
>>
>> hill mushrooms!
>>

>> Joseph Coulter
>>
>> having found my eternal september settings again!

> Depending on the mushrooms, you could have made yourself really sick.
> I'm assuming these were store bought not picked. Many bolletes can
> have really negative reactions with alcohol in some folks.

Really? I know that Boletus satanus will make you very sick, and even
more so when combined with alcohol. and there are a small handful that
are simply inedible. I can't think of another one that's particularly
reactive with alcohol.

Certainly are a lot of other somewhat poisonous mushrooms where the
effects are worsened by alcohol, though.