Timote

Default advice sought on buying wine collection

hello all-

i have run across a friend of the family that is selling off a deceased
relative's belongings, including a 400-bottle wine collection. lots of cabs
from the early 80s, bordeaux, rothschild, gilette, etc.
this seemed to have been stored in a room temperature environment, in a lower
level of the house, in an upright, wooden wine cellar.
is there any way to tell if the wines are good or not? I think they have all
been here for at least 19-20 years. is there something I should be looking for
as a tell-tale sign of spoilage? or as long as they have been stored properly (
horizontal) in a dry, room-temp environment, should I trust that they are OK?

Thanks so much for the advice-

tim