Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Report on Trisha Yearwood's Turkey Recipe

Karen > wrote:
: On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 02:14:24 +0000 (UTC), in alt.food.diabetic, "W.
: Baker" > wrote:

: >Karen > wrote:
: >: On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 19:23:39 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
: >: > wrote:
: >
: >: >
: >: >I'm really surprised that it turned out great. It was beautifully browned,
: >: >not crisp skin, but really nicely browned. The oven was cool, but the bird
: >: >was still warm, not so hot that you couldn't touch it, but fairly warm. The
: >: >meat was juicy and there were a lot of drippings/juices in the bottom of the
: >: >roaster for gravy. I made some stuffing for dh, a sweet potato for him also,
: >: >and green beans. I had made the sugar free cranberry conserve last night, so
: >: >it was nice and cold. All in all it was a good meal, now I have a lot of
: >: >leftovers. I think I will mostly use this recipe when roasting a 12 pound
: >: >bird. Very simple, very good. As a side note, maybe due to all that steam,
: >: >the roasting pan was really easy to clean. :-)
: >: >
: >: >Cheri
: >
: >: Do you know if the temperature of the bird got up to the 165 degrees
: >: they recommend? I'm happy to hear it turned out well. We are
: >: roasting a 20 lb bird so not sure that method would work.
: >
: >: My son and daughter in law are coming for dinner as well as her
: >: grandmother. It's grandmother first big holiday since her husband
: >: passed in the spring and didn't want her to be alone and she is a very
: >: sweet lady. Besides the turkey we are having mashed potatoes and
: >: gravy, stuffing, puree'd acorn squash, steamed broccoli and raw
: >: cranberry relish. There will also be a pumpkin pie, and what I like
: >: better than pumpkin pie is a pumpkin mousse. My daughter in law is
: >: helping, and also my husband. He gets to do all the vegetable prep
: >: for me. Sorry, I seem to have rambled on.....
: >
: >FThat's OK and it's what Thanksgiving is aoubt.
: >
: >Did anyone see the recipe for braised turkey from America's Test Kitchen ?
: >It looks like a good idea and also a wet kind of prep. It looks liek
: >something I might try with a very small bird sometime if I hvve all the
: >kids down or company. I tink I still have the URL and will try to send
: >it.
: >
: >I have not tried it ans would make som eadjutsments like no butter and no
: >thickening for the gravy, but I am used to those adjustments. I would use
: >a spray of olive oil where the butter is indicated for the roasting part
: >before the braise and, as I don't thickenthe gravy I don't need the butter
: >for the roux:-) Meets my religious and carb considerations.
: >
: >http://www.americastestkitchen.com/r...code=L2MN3AA00
: >
: >Wendy

: Thank you Wendy. I didn't see the show. The TV doesn't get a whole
: lot of use at my house. Maybe once or twice a week we'll watch a
: program. I read a lot though, and do other art related things.
: Karen

I didn't see it on TV but got it on th free part of the email from their
website I get. The video is from the TV show.

Wendy