Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Peppermint Patootie Peppermint Patootie is offline

Default Thanksgiving meal.

I'm doing the usual: My elderly mother will be coming down from NH to
spend Wed-Sat with me, and my sister, her partner, and my teenaged niece
will come down from Cambridge on Thursday for just the meal.

The menu doesn't change much from year to year. I'll do:

- a big roast turkey (over 20 lbs) with low-carb stuffing made from
chopped walnuts, some low-carb bread, onions, garlic, ginger root,
celery, fresh herbs from my garden, and minced giblets. I use the
cheese cloth soaked in butter over the breast method and then start
basting at about 1-1.5 hours.
- 5 lbs of russets peeled, boiled, and mashed with butter and cream, s&p.
- a load of steamed broccoli with butter and lemon.
- squash medley (3-5 diff kinds) seasoned with butter, maple syrup,
nutmeg, salt & pepper.
- creamed onions with peanuts (in honor of my departed father)
- sparkling cider or seltzer.
- whole berry cranberry sauce made with about 1/2 the water and 1/2 the
sugar as are in the recipe on the bag.
- my own pickled peaches I put up last year.

My sister's partner will make and bring a pumpkin pie for dessert.

I'll send my sister's family home loaded down with leftovers but, I
hope, not to the extent of robbing me of plenty.

The next day I'll make my cranberry sauce sweetened w/erithrytol and
cook up a nice big batch of rutabaga, then my mother and I will have
leftover Thanksgiving dinner for supper.

Happy family day to one and all!

Priscilla
- Chris Malcolm