Old 15-11-2012, 08:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Cheri[_3_] Cheri[_3_] is offline

Default Thanksgiving meal.

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Karen" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:13:29 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Karen" wrote in message
m...
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:56:26 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
.

So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like
the
South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
mushrooms,
.

Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a
12
pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small
ham
for
Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss.
Cauliflower
casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something
pumpkiny,
like
pumpkin custard.
That's it.

Cheri

So, I'm curious. How did Trisha Yearwood cook the turkey?

I watched her do it on her cooking show, and it looked good, and she
said it
always turns out wonderful and leaves the oven free for other stuff.
Dunno,
so will try it. I'm not really such a huge fan of Turkey other than
sandwiches which I really don't eat much anymore, so if it turns out to
be
not as good as it could be, it will be turned into dog food. :-)

7 hr 10 min.
Prep10 min.
Cook7 hr 0 min.
Yield:10 to 12 servings .

Ingredients
1/2 stick salted butter, softened
One 12-pound turkey, completely thawed and all giblets removed
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 stalks celery, cut in lengths to fit turkey cavity .
1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut in half
1 large carrot, cut in lengths to fit the turkey cavity
2 cups boiling water

Directions:

Adjust the oven racks so the covered roasting pan fit easily inside.
Preheat
the oven to 500 degrees F.

Rub the butter on the outside and in the cavity of the turkey. Sprinkle
the
salt and pepper on the inside and the outside of the turkey. Put the
celery,
onion and carrot in the cavity. Place the turkey, breast-side up, in a
large
roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the pan. Cover with a
tight-fitting lid and put the pan in the oven.

Start a timer when the oven temperature returns to 500 degrees F.

Bake for exactly 1 hour and turn off the oven.

Do not open the oven door!

Leave the turkey in the oven until the oven completely cools; this may
take
4 to 6 hours.
Reserve the pan juices and refrigerate the turkey if it will not be
served
soon after roasting.

`
I'm not following. How does this leave the oven free for other things
if you have to leave the turkey in the oven till the oven completely
cools? Did I miss something? It sounds like a really easy way to
prepare it though. Let us know how it turns out.

If I understood her correctly, she said she puts it in at midnight so
it's ready when she gets up. I believe she must carve it up, refrigerate,
and reheat in the gravy she makes from the juices. That was the only
thing I got out of it, because like you, I wondered how that freed the
oven up too. I don't think the bird would still be hot when the oven is
cool, but dunno for sure. I will be making mine in the daytime tomorrow
so will report back. :-)

My mom always cooks hers the day before and reheats in the microwave.

My mom used to make it a day ahead sometimes if we were having a large
crowd, not in a microwave because they weren't invented yet, but put in a
large pan with gravy and rewarm in the oven. I know it's a lot of fun for
people to have the whole turkey presented on the table, including me in the
old days, since I love the crisp skin, but it's definitely easier to prepare
and carve in advance, and then reheat. That's why the Salvation Army and
others serve it that way for a crowd.

Cheri