Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Cheri[_3_] Cheri[_3_] is offline

Default Thanksgiving meal.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Karen" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:13:29 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"

m...

>>> `
>>> I'm not following. How does this leave the oven free for other things
>>> if you have to leave the turkey in the oven till the oven completely
>>> cools? Did I miss something? It sounds like a really easy way to
>>> prepare it though. Let us know how it turns out.

>> If I understood her correctly, she said she puts it in at midnight so
>> it's ready when she gets up. I believe she must carve it up, refrigerate,
>> and reheat in the gravy she makes from the juices. That was the only
>> thing I got out of it, because like you, I wondered how that freed the
>> oven up too. I don't think the bird would still be hot when the oven is
>> cool, but dunno for sure. I will be making mine in the daytime tomorrow
>> so will report back. :-)

> My mom always cooks hers the day before and reheats in the microwave.

My mom used to make it a day ahead sometimes if we were having a large
crowd, not in a microwave because they weren't invented yet, but put in a
large pan with gravy and rewarm in the oven. I know it's a lot of fun for
people to have the whole turkey presented on the table, including me in the
old days, since I love the crisp skin, but it's definitely easier to prepare
and carve in advance, and then reheat. That's why the Salvation Army and
others serve it that way for a crowd.

Cheri