Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Cheri[_3_] Cheri[_3_] is offline

Default Thanksgiving meal.

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:13:29 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Karen" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:56:26 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"

>>> So, I'm curious. How did Trisha Yearwood cook the turkey?

>>I watched her do it on her cooking show, and it looked good, and she said
>>it
>>always turns out wonderful and leaves the oven free for other stuff.
>>Dunno,
>>so will try it. I'm not really such a huge fan of Turkey other than
>>sandwiches which I really don't eat much anymore, so if it turns out to be
>>not as good as it could be, it will be turned into dog food. :-)
>>
>>7 hr 10 min.
>>Prep10 min.
>>Cook7 hr 0 min.
>>Yield:10 to 12 servings .
>>
>>Ingredients
>>1/2 stick salted butter, softened
>>One 12-pound turkey, completely thawed and all giblets removed
>>2 tablespoons salt
>>2 teaspoons pepper
>>2 stalks celery, cut in lengths to fit turkey cavity .
>>1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut in half
>>1 large carrot, cut in lengths to fit the turkey cavity
>>2 cups boiling water
>>
>>Directions:
>>
>>Adjust the oven racks so the covered roasting pan fit easily inside.
>>Preheat
>>the oven to 500 degrees F.
>>
>>Rub the butter on the outside and in the cavity of the turkey. Sprinkle
>>the
>>salt and pepper on the inside and the outside of the turkey. Put the
>>celery,
>>onion and carrot in the cavity. Place the turkey, breast-side up, in a
>>large
>>roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the pan. Cover with a
>>tight-fitting lid and put the pan in the oven.
>>
>>Start a timer when the oven temperature returns to 500 degrees F.
>>
>>Bake for exactly 1 hour and turn off the oven.
>>
>> Do not open the oven door!
>>
>>Leave the turkey in the oven until the oven completely cools; this may
>>take
>>4 to 6 hours.
>>Reserve the pan juices and refrigerate the turkey if it will not be served
>>soon after roasting.
>>

> `
> I'm not following. How does this leave the oven free for other things
> if you have to leave the turkey in the oven till the oven completely
> cools? Did I miss something? It sounds like a really easy way to
> prepare it though. Let us know how it turns out.

If I understood her correctly, she said she puts it in at midnight so it's
ready when she gets up. I believe she must carve it up, refrigerate, and
reheat in the gravy she makes from the juices. That was the only thing I got
out of it, because like you, I wondered how that freed the oven up too. I
don't think the bird would still be hot when the oven is cool, but dunno for
sure. I will be making mine in the daytime tomorrow so will report back. :-)

Cheri