Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Karen[_11_] Karen[_11_] is offline

Default Thanksgiving meal.

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:13:29 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:56:26 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>.

>>>.
>>>

>>>Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
>>>pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
>>>Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham
>>>for
>>>Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss. Cauliflower
>>>casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny,
>>>like
>>>pumpkin custard.
>>>That's it.
>>>

>>>Cheri

>> So, I'm curious. How did Trisha Yearwood cook the turkey?

>I watched her do it on her cooking show, and it looked good, and she said it
>always turns out wonderful and leaves the oven free for other stuff. Dunno,
>so will try it. I'm not really such a huge fan of Turkey other than
>sandwiches which I really don't eat much anymore, so if it turns out to be
>not as good as it could be, it will be turned into dog food. :-)
>
>7 hr 10 min.
>Prep10 min.
>Cook7 hr 0 min.
>Yield:10 to 12 servings .
>
>Ingredients
>1/2 stick salted butter, softened
>One 12-pound turkey, completely thawed and all giblets removed
>2 tablespoons salt
>2 teaspoons pepper
>2 stalks celery, cut in lengths to fit turkey cavity .
>1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut in half
>1 large carrot, cut in lengths to fit the turkey cavity
>2 cups boiling water
>
>Directions:
>
>Adjust the oven racks so the covered roasting pan fit easily inside. Preheat
>the oven to 500 degrees F.
>
>Rub the butter on the outside and in the cavity of the turkey. Sprinkle the
>salt and pepper on the inside and the outside of the turkey. Put the celery,
>onion and carrot in the cavity. Place the turkey, breast-side up, in a large
>roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the pan. Cover with a
>tight-fitting lid and put the pan in the oven.
>
>Start a timer when the oven temperature returns to 500 degrees F.
>
>Bake for exactly 1 hour and turn off the oven.
>
> Do not open the oven door!
>
>Leave the turkey in the oven until the oven completely cools; this may take
>4 to 6 hours.
>Reserve the pan juices and refrigerate the turkey if it will not be served
>soon after roasting.

`
I'm not following. How does this leave the oven free for other things
if you have to leave the turkey in the oven till the oven completely
cools? Did I miss something? It sounds like a really easy way to
prepare it though. Let us know how it turns out.