Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Cheri[_3_] Cheri[_3_] is offline

Default Thanksgiving meal.

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:56:26 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>.
>>>
>>> So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
>>> South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
>>> mushrooms,

>>.
>>

>>Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
>>pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
>>Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham
>>for
>>Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss. Cauliflower
>>casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny,
>>like
>>pumpkin custard.
>>That's it.
>>

>>Cheri

> So, I'm curious. How did Trisha Yearwood cook the turkey?

I watched her do it on her cooking show, and it looked good, and she said it
always turns out wonderful and leaves the oven free for other stuff. Dunno,
so will try it. I'm not really such a huge fan of Turkey other than
sandwiches which I really don't eat much anymore, so if it turns out to be
not as good as it could be, it will be turned into dog food. :-)

7 hr 10 min.
Prep10 min.
Cook7 hr 0 min.
Yield:10 to 12 servings .

Ingredients
1/2 stick salted butter, softened
One 12-pound turkey, completely thawed and all giblets removed
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 stalks celery, cut in lengths to fit turkey cavity .
1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut in half
1 large carrot, cut in lengths to fit the turkey cavity
2 cups boiling water

Directions:

Adjust the oven racks so the covered roasting pan fit easily inside. Preheat
the oven to 500 degrees F.

Rub the butter on the outside and in the cavity of the turkey. Sprinkle the
salt and pepper on the inside and the outside of the turkey. Put the celery,
onion and carrot in the cavity. Place the turkey, breast-side up, in a large
roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the pan. Cover with a
tight-fitting lid and put the pan in the oven.

Start a timer when the oven temperature returns to 500 degrees F.

Bake for exactly 1 hour and turn off the oven.

Do not open the oven door!

Leave the turkey in the oven until the oven completely cools; this may take
4 to 6 hours.
Reserve the pan juices and refrigerate the turkey if it will not be served
soon after roasting.