Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default Day of the Dead

On 11/10/2012 9:00 AM, Gary wrote:
> Mike Rutland wrote:
>>
>> In our family, we celebrate Samhain on the 31st October. We do this by
>> lighting a candle in the window for each of our loved ones that have
>> passed, and sitting down to a meal that our most recently passed family
>> member loved. We set them a place at the table as a mark of respect.
>>
>> We dont eat more than normal, we dont drink more than normal, but take
>> the time to remember and reflect upon that person and how they lived.

> That's so nice.
> I read once that "no one truly dies as long as they are remembered."
> I like and believe that.

My Grandparents and their parents were Buddhists and we observed
numerous funeral services for them while I was growing up. There were a
lot of services! It's tough for a kid to sit through a monk chanting for
what seemed like forever. It was kind of spooky too.

We'll probably be having 50 year anniversaries coming up soon. After
that, it'll ease up cause the next one won't come up until another 50
years. I'm counting on being dead by then.