Posted to rec.food.cooking
Richard K. Richard K. is offline

Default Day of the Dead

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Mike Rutland wrote:
>>
>> In our family, we celebrate Samhain on the 31st October. We do this by
>> lighting a candle in the window for each of our loved ones that have
>> passed, and sitting down to a meal that our most recently passed family
>> member loved. We set them a place at the table as a mark of respect.
>>
>> We dont eat more than normal, we dont drink more than normal, but take
>> the time to remember and reflect upon that person and how they lived.

> That's so nice.
> I read once that "no one truly dies as long as they are remembered."
> I like and believe that.
>
> I had a friend and coworker that died about 27 years ago. I often
> remember
> his sayings and advice.
>
> Gary
>
> PS - isn't it a Japanese tradition to put candles on little paper boats
> and
> let them float down a river to honor their dead relatives? Something like
> that.

I knew a guy that died about 27 or so years ago. Short older man. Hard
working always had a smile. And bunch of ol country boy sayings. (I wish
someone had made a book with his saying. I think he made some up himself.)
There was a big snowstorm in Denver, and he shoveled his driveway in the
morning. Was the last thing he did. He went and laid down on his couch and
never got back up.

I still remember saying good-bye to him the night before. It was the hall
outside the bookstore and he was going back in and I was coming out. I said
goodnight and he just smiled that little goofy smile he a had. Last time I
saw him.

One Monday, we came into the warehouse and there were a bunch of books boxed
up and ready to go. Joe had got up the day before and come into work. After
a bit, when no one came in, he said he realized he had come in on Sunday.
But he said he figured since he was there he might as well do a couple hours
of work.