Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Here's a recent post that I can't send. Trying a new post.

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 07:08:20 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Oct 29, 6:07*am, Gary > wrote:
> > sf wrote:
> >
> > > I've never seen brown peas before. *If I did, I must have thought they
> > > were something else. *When I have a ham bone, I use split peas which
> > > are green - or any of a dozen or more other beans to make soup.

> > They must have sold them more often back in the early 60's? *When I was a
> > kid (elementary school), pea-shooters were popular with us fellows. *It was
> > just a large diameter plastic straw that came with a supply of "ammo." *We
> > used to get more ammo from the grocery store...one pound bags of nice round
> > tan peas.
> >
> > I've also wondered about that because I never see them in the grocery store
> > anymore.
> >
> > Gary

> They were probably pigeon peas. Mostly you fund them where people
> make peas and riceo on a regular basis. More Caribbean oriented
> foods. Here's a pic.
>
> http://www.trimurtigroup.com/images/...uct_pigeon.jpg

Since we're talking about beans & rice, I need to ask you something...
I always thought red beans and rice was a fairly dry dish. Either the
beans were mixed into the rice
http://prescottollinewsletter.files..../red-beans.jpg

or the beans were cooked down to a thick gravy and served on top of
rice, http://www.simplyrecipes.com/photos/...ans-rice-2.jpg

but the red beans and rice I ran across the other day was soup. Is
that normal or was it just their soup of the day?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila