The Joneses

Default Jar supply?

Mike Ruskai wrote:

> We have a small farm (or large garden, depending on how you scale things)
> from which we sell tomatoes, peppers, and a few other things.
>
> Last year, most of the unsold tomatoes and peppers from any given picking
> were converted into salsa (good salsa). All told, in three separate
> batches of varying sizes, we made something like three or four gallons.
> It was all consumed by friends and family. There are quite a few more
> tomato and pepper plants this year, and the thought occurred to try
> selling some salsa made from the leftovers.
>
> The biggest issue at this point is the container. Last year, all the
> salsa was canned in mason jars after a hot water bath (20 minutes, I
> believe). After doing some reading, I realize that to do only a hot water
> bath for something to be sold requires that the overall pH be not higher
> than 4.6. I think it's likely that level of acidity was easily reached
> (no sample from last year left to test), but just the same, I'm going to
> need a container that can handle pressure canning if it's required.
>
> Selling it in mason jars would be a bit costly. I was thinking something
> more like the thinner jars the store-bought salsa is sold in, with the
> one-piece sealing lids.
>
> Are there jars of this nature available that can be canned in a normal pot
> or pressure canner? If so, where might one purchase them?
>
> Any other tips on what I appear not to have thought of?
>
> --
> - Mike
>
> Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

In our local farmer's markets, the rules are different. Home canned things are
allowed, if xxx, and when xxx. Mostly high acid foods in our local farmer's
market. Dairy, meat, low acid foods require permits. OTOH my home county
(across the state border) does not allow selling any foodstuffs from a home.
Again the farmer's market rules are different out on the Rez. I have a link
for one-use bottles from Sunburst Bottle Company (.com) but the price is very
similar to Walmart, what with shipping an' all. Big Lots has cheaper mason
jars, but maybe not the size or shape you like. Best of luck. (ya ever try
to grow and pickle asparagus, boy what a treat!)
Edrena