Ray

Default Cherry wine

Darlene gave good advice. Cherries make very nice wine. Visit Jack
Keller's site and look at his recipes to get an idea of what to do. He has
several for cherries.

If you have made several batches and you have decided that this is a hobby
you are going to continue, I would suggest you should take the next step and
become a little more serious about it. Your results will be more
consistent.
1) Loose the balloons and get some airlocks. They are cheap and reusable.
2) Get a hydrometer so you know how much sugar to used. Don't trust recipes
for this. They hydrometer is not expensive and is very easy to use.
3) Pick up a book on wine making. Something published after the 1940's.
They will not suggest you use balloons.

This is a great hobby. Start simple but grow with it.

Ray

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> You can make cherry wine. It is a bit different than making the wine with
> the Welch's frozen concentrate. I started with the Welch's to learn a few
> things before I moved on to making wine with fruit. I kind of look at it

as
> you're graduating to a new level of wine-making, with its difficulties as
> well as its rewards. It sounds like what you did might work, but I don't
> know how it is going to turn out. Has it started to ferment (bubble)?

You
> might need yeast nutrient to help the must start; campden tablets to fight
> off any undesirable beasties in the cherries, and pectin enzyme to make

sure
> it doesn't turn into jelly. I would get a bung & an airlock for your
> winemaking now to keep things a bit more sterile. You might want to check
> out Jack's site http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp - he's got

recipe
> to follow. Good-luck.
> Darlene
>
> "Dwayne" > wrote in message
> > Hi. I want to tell you what I did and you tell me if I messed up or did

> OK.
> >
> > I have made wine using 2 cans Welsh's frozen grape juice concentrate in

> > gallon jug. I put in the yeast, sugar, juice from a lemon, and added

> water
> > till it was full. Then I capped it with a balloon over the top. I have
> > done this 3 times and the wine came out OK.
> >
> > We just picked a bunch of cherries and after sorting them out for

canning,
> > juiced the rest. When I got done, I put some yeast, 4 cups of sugar,

and
> > couple tablespoons of lemon concentrate into a gallon apple juice jug,

> mixed
> > it all up till the sugar was dissolved, and filled it the rest of the

way
> > with strained cherry juice.
> >
> > Did I do OK, or since the cherry juice was fresh, not concentrated, did

> > mess it up? I tried making choke cherry wine by putting whole

> chokecherries
> > in a "primary", then squeezing out the juice and putting it in a gallon

> jug
> > with an airlock. It really came out bad.
> >
> > If there is something I can do to make the cherry juice into wine,

please