Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Jacquie Jacquie is offline

Default Are you ready for Halloween?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> We usually go all out with the decorating but I just didn't feel like
> doing it this year. Especially since after that long dry spell we are now
> having a lot of rain.
>
> Last year, Angela was envious of the orange spider webs that the neighbors
> had. We just had the plain white. Of course I couldn't find any until
> after Halloween and they were marked down quite a bit. We bought purple,
> orange and green. And apparently far too many!
>
> I decided to put up some of the decorations after Angela said she didn't
> want to. But I did make her put the little pumpkins that she wanted out
> on the front step.
>
> I only used one bag of the purple web. It really did stretch quite a long
> ways. And I put up all of the huge spiders that we have bought over the
> years. I also put up the ghost and pumpkin lights, the black cats by the
> door and the bats and the one sparkly purple hanging spider on the Rhodie
> by the door. I do have some battery operated things that I may put out on
> Halloween night. Or I may not, depending on my mood.
>
> We opted for candy this year since we really have no use for toys any
> more. And the last couple of years we didn't get as many kids as we have
> in the past. So I wanted to buy something I could eat in case I had
> hypos. I bought the same Twizzlers (at least I think they're the same) as
> I ODed on last year when I bought them after Halloween. I had a hypo at
> the dance studio and wound up eating far too many.
>
> Angela sent her dad a Halloween package and we opened the Twizzlers and
> put some in. Then I got into them. They were beyond horrible! I just
> hope the kids like them because I sure did not. Not even the plain red
> ones. There are some super sour ones in there. Perhaps they damaged my
> taste buds. So... No worries about me getting into them and eating them.
> And once of Angela's teachers asked that if we had any leftover candy to
> give it to her. She took over for another teacher last year and much to
> our dismay, he was in the habit of giving out candy to people all the
> time. He even offered it to us on parent's night. Angela said he ate
> quite a lot of it himself. So the students in this class are accustomed
> to getting treats. And she said she could not afford to give out candy
> like the prior teacher did. So if we do have any left, I will send it in
> to her.
>
> I do not have a special meal planned this year. I usually only plan to
> make something quick to fix and eat but that is less of a problem for me
> now that Angela has taken over passing out the treats. I do have some
> Halloween patterned paper plates and some black plastic flatware. That is
> our tradition. And I bought new toy mice for Bali and Jazzy. I had
> better buy a new package of dog treats too. Angela likes to keep dog
> treats by the door although I don't think we have had any dogs come by
> here. When we lived in military housing it was common for people to walk
> [...]

When we lived on base and in developments I went all out with the
decorating . Hubby would wear a costume and sit outside and give out candy
and scare a few kids in the process. We now live out in the middle of the
desert where most property is 5 acres or more...and not street
lights...actually we have no streets just bumpy dirt roads. so don't get any
witches or goblins knocking at our door anymore...I always have a bag of
candy just in case...and hubby will take it to work with him to share .