Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Lamb season(ed)

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:

: > Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: > : Found a recipe for lamb stew and tried it, yum:
: >
: >
: > : 3 lbs lamb, any cut, in bite pieces or larger
: > : 2 cloves garlic, chopped
: > : 10 shallots, whole, peeled
: >
: > : Butter or oil for frying
: > : 1 can tomatoes, or equiv. fresh, peeled tomatoes
: > : 1 can beans in tomato sauce (drained?)
: > : 1 cup red wine
: >
: > : salt, pepper. dried thyme, bay leaf
: >
: > : Saute meat, garlic and shallots in iron pot until meat is lightly
: > : browned. Add tomatoes and spices, bring to boil.
: > : Add wine, turn down heat and simmer for an hour.
: > : Add beans and simmer for another half hour,
: >
: > : Next time I will use a little corn starch at the end to thicken the stew
: > : a bit more, I suppose the beans were meant to thicken the stew, but then
: > : they should be drained first.
: >
: > : My wife and daughter had potatoes on the side, which I skipped. Forgot
: > : to buy barley "rice" today - would have been nice. OTOH, we put away the
: > : rest of the wine :-)
: >
: > : A votre sant?!
: >
: > This looks delicious. One hint, if you add the potatoes to the stew
: > halved unpeeled(use smallish red ones) they are easy to pick out for the
: > diabetics and might well silightly thinken the stew without the need for
: > the cornstarch. You might also use unsauced beans as there are already
: > tomatoes in the stew and drain them well, even rinsing them if you want to
: > reduce salt.
: >
: > Wendy

: Thanks!

: I wonder - it is said that cooked potatoes get lower GI when cooled down,
: even when re-heated? There's leftovers today, I think I'll try :-)

If you do tryone, do test afterwards and let us know the result for you!
Wendy